Information for Bachelor Degree Program Applicants
Applications for the Georgetown Bachelor of Liberal Arts program are currently closed and will reopen in summer 2023.
If you have a friend or family member interested in the program, please fill out this form and they will be mailed an application directly when the application period opens. You can view an example application here.
- Students will earn a Bachelor of Liberal Arts degree from Georgetown. The degree requires 120 credits and is expected to take five years to complete.
- Students will complete core coursework in the liberal arts (Philosophy, Theology, History, Humanities, Writing, Math, Science, Social Science, and foreign language) and then choose one of three interdisciplinary majors in the Cultural Humanities, Global Intellectual History, or Interdisciplinary Social Science
- Georgetown will accept applications from correctional facilities across the state of Maryland. Applicants must be eligible for transfer to the Patuxent Institution, and those admitted to the program will be transferred to Patuxent prior to program launch.
- Georgetown will accept up to 25 students in each cohort.
- Students will have access to a full range of academic and student support services, as well as Georgetown career counseling and reentry support.
- High school diploma or (GED) equivalent
- Prior college coursework may be eligible for transfer, but applicants must not have earned a bachelor’s degree
- If not already located at the Patuxent Institution, must be willing to transfer
- All students must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the start of classes
- Are passionate about continuing their education
- Have personal or professional goals they aim to achieve through earning a degree
- Are curious, thoughtful, and willing to contribute meaningfully to classroom discussions and participate actively in the program’s intellectual community
- Are committed to completing academically challenging coursework
- Applications are distributed by prison staff and educators and mailed directly to interested applicants
- Completed applications can be submitted by mail to the address below.
Please write to the Georgetown Prisons and Justice Initiative at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
The Georgetown Prisons and Justice Initiative
640 Massachusetts Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20001